Saturday, August 11, 2007

"Cardiogram to an Unknown Girl" by Eduardo de Gortari

……….I take the bus and I seat by your side
I steal a glance at you ... without knowing your gestures
……….You look like Melpomene
You look like the main character
……….of a novel I haven’t written
And I wonder whether it’s beautiful this coincidence
……….Being here by your side without you taking notice
What would happen if the world was different?
……….Would I touch your back at night?
Would we buy flowers in Xochimilco?
……….Would we drink tea at the Café de Nadie?
Would we stay about in a park on Sundays?
……….That doesn’t matter now
if I won’t even be able to try it
……….if desire hasn’t been born yet and already dies
for you say ‘Excuse me’
……….stand up push the botton
and get down the bus ... There everything is over
……….Now I will never know if I should be with you

(trans. by Aurelio Meza)

Eduardo de Gortari (Mexico City, 1988) Poet and musician. He plays the guitar in Yesterday Pop. He is about to publish his first poetry book Sputnik/Cardiograma in Tierra Adentro, in which this poem is included. He is one of the founders of Devrayativa.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

in the part of:
Would we drink tea at the Café de Nadie?
sound better would we drink tea at the Nadie's Cafe no????